Saturday 26 March 2011

Kinbaku, Hojojutsu, Shibari, Fusion and Western Bondage

You way well wonder what are let alone the difference between Kinbaku, Hojojutsu, Shibari, Fusion and Western Bondage. I think you can probably ask three rope experts(?) and come up with at least five different answers. So I guess I will add mine ...

Kinbaku - I see this as the pure traditional form of Japanese sensual bondage. The forms are well defined and referenced in many places so I wont go into detail here but will document my own ties as I learn them. I am often asked "Whats the difference to Shibari ? Isnt this just Shibari?" ... to me the difference to me is like learning Karate in Okinawa to learning it in LA. Yes they are sort of the same but also intrinsically different at a philosphical and spiritual level.

Hojojutsu - is the martial art of subbuing and binding prisioners based upon the practices of feudal Japanese warriors. There are many similarities and ties to jojitsu and ninjitsu. Perhaps not exactly correct but its the way I see it.

Shibari - is a more westernised approach to Kinbaku. Not so much focused on form but just the general sorts of ties you see documented in most bondage books. Probably more focused on sexuality then perhaps sensuality and further removed from the traditional martial origins.

Fusion - I see as being even further removed from the eastern origins and more focused on  fancy knot work. I am not sure of the source of the knots but I would suspect more decorative areas such as macrame and yachting :)

Western Bondage - (or dont care just tie the bitch) is the fine art of functional bondage. Form and style have given away to functionality and speed. Its the means to another ends rather then the art itself. Again perhaps not everyones view on it but this is mine.

4 comments:

  1. I'm mostly Shibari, with some "Just Tie the Bitch". But I choose Shibari for the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started learning rope bondage. This had answered a few questions & given me a few new styles to research. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since youre so interested in origins, maybe have a look into how youre female viewers might feel when you use derogatory language in an educational post. Judging by the other comments, youre clearly attracting people very comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we're being all educational - Why do you assume 'bitch' can only refer to a female... or that a viewer would consider the term derogatory based solely on their sex or gender? A single word can have different meanings depending on the contexts in which it is used. In this instance, it can be male, or female, or even an inanimate object... and quite a few people would consider being a Bitch to be a point of considerable pride.

      Delete