Thursday 17 March 2011

Rope Types

I was going to write an article on rope types but I found a good article by erinhoudini who also supplies interesting dyed nylon solid braid. So I guess I might talk about why I use particular ropes.

Jute/Hemp
Is my first choice of rope for the way it feels and affects a rope bottom. The best description I have heard from a bottom is that "it is like being wrapped in croncrete". This is due to the low deflection under load which makes for better bondage and knotting. I rather the lightness of jute compared to hemp.

Synthetic
I mostly use this if I can find one supple enough to hold knots such as climbing rope.  Often synthetic rope from hardware stores just doesnt have a nice feel or knots securely.  Climbing rope also has the advantage of being load rated. Synthetic rope does also come in nice colours.

Cotton
I mostly use this rope as a disposable rope for practice or where there is risk of contamination. It realy just does not knot nicely as they tighten and stretch under load.

2 comments:

  1. would like to ask about the most suitable rope diameter to be used .. and also if you would please provide an article about rope care ... including the fixture done to the ends of the ropes so they dont get damaged.

    last question .. what is the term in kinbaku for the use of bamboos within bondage knots .. behind the back for instant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used two rope diameters. 6mm for body ties. 8mm for suspension
    support lines. 6mm has better flexiblity and lower curvature radii.
    8mm obvisouly has higher strength.

    Traditionally the rope is ended by a simple thumb knot. I also use
    sailing rope whipping. See my post on Trick Knots. I usually wipe my rope with a
    cloth after use. Best strategy is to use a single set of rope with a
    single model.

    See my list of Kinbaku forms in the post cross referencing
    Kinbaku/Shibari instruction books. There are a few that involve
    bamboo as part of the tie.

    ReplyDelete